Assistant Elementary Principal of the Year Award
Following are the general criteria that should be used as a guide in selecting the assistant elementary principal of the year.
1. The individual should have been a practicing assistant elementary principal for at least two years. (Assistant elementary principal is generally defined as having administrative responsibilities for any combination of grades PK-8.)
2. The individual should be currently serving as an assistant elementary principal in a building where a commitment to excellence is clearly evident; i.e., to be nominated for 2023 Assistant Elementary Principal of the Year, the individual must be an assistant principal for the 2022-23 school year.
3. There should be evidence of outstanding contributions to the well-being of the educational community including:
4. The individual should show a strong commitment to the principalship by active participation in professional activities. (Membership in SAI and NAESP are prerequisites for this award.)
5. There should be evidence that the principal is respected by his/her students, colleagues, and the community at large.
6. The individual should show strong educational leadership and assistance in operating orderly and purposeful schools, having set high expectations for school staff and students.
NOTE: No current SAI Executive Committee member (president, president-elect, vice president or past president), NAESP board member or NAESP state coordinator is eligible for this award.
1. Press releases are sent by SAI to select media at the conclusion of the selection process. An article will also appear in the SAI Report.
2. Nominees will be recognized at their respective SAI District Meetings.
3. The Administrator of the Year will be recognized at the SAI Annual Conference.
4. The Administrator of the Year will be recognized by the national association and become eligible for a national award if s/he fulfills the criteria. NAESP requires the state recipient be an active principal during the year of the national award, e.g. a 2023 winner must be an active principal for the 2022-23 school year. Recognition activities are subject to change; please see the awards section of the NAESP website for current information.