Assistant Secondary Principal of the Year Award
Following are the general criteria that should be used as a guide in selecting the assistant secondary principal of the year.
1. The individual should have been a practicing assistant secondary principal for at least three years. (Assistant secondary principal is generally defined as having administrative responsibilities for any combination of grades 7-12.)
2. The individual should be currently serving as an assistant secondary principal in a building where a commitment to excellence is clearly evident; i.e., to be nominated for 2019 Assistant Secondary Principal of the Year, the individual must be an assistant principal for the 2018-19 school year.
3. There should be evidence of outstanding contributions to the well-being of the educational community including:
4. The individual should show a strong commitment to the principalship by active participation in professional activities. (Membership in SAI and NASSP are prerequisites for this award.)
5. There should be evidence that the principal is respected by his/her students, colleagues, and the community at large.
6. The individual should show strong educational leadership and assistance in operating orderly and purposeful schools, having set high expectations for school staff and students.
NOTE: No current SAI Executive Committee member (president, president-elect, vice president or past president), NASSP board member or NASSP state coordinator is eligible for this award.