Elementary Principal of the Year Award
1. The individual should have been an online elementary principal for at least five years (includes experience as an associate/assistant principal). (Elementary principal is generally defined as having primary supervisory responsibilities for any combination of grades PK-8.)
2. The individual should be currently serving as an elementary principal in a building(s) where a commitment to excellence is clearly evident. This includes serving in the same position the award year for which s/he is recognized, i.e. to be nominated as a 2017 Elementary Principal of the Year, by June 30, 2016, the individual must be an elementary principal for the 2016-17 school year.
3. There should be evidence of outstanding contributions to the well being of the educational community including:
4. The individual should show a strong commitment to the principalship by active participation in professional activities. (Membership in SAI and NAESP are prerequisites for this award.)
5. There should be evidence that the individual is respected by his/her students, colleagues, and the community at large.
6. The individual should show strong educational leadership and operate orderly and purposeful schools, having set high expectations for school staff and students.
NOTE: No current SAI Executive Committee member (president, president-elect, vice president or past president), NAESP board member or NAESP state representative is eligible for this award.