Mentoring & Induction Frequently Asked Questions
2013-14 Program Documents
- Information for Superintendents
- Participant Enrollment Form
- Participant Expectations
- Program Agreement
- Program Description
Q: Our district has a beginning administrator and wants to use the SAI program to provide mentoring and induction support. How do I sign up?
Your district is required to have a mentoring and induction plan for beginning principals and persons new to the superintendency regardless of whether you have a beginning administrator in any given year. A beginning administrator is defined by law as “an individual … who is assuming a position as a school district principal or superintendent for the first time.”
If your district intends to use the SAI program in 2013-14 to meet chapter 284A requirements, you will need to complete new paperwork (if you used the SAI program last year, discard forms from 2012-13).
Please do the following.
- Include a copy of the PROGRAM DESCRIPTION in your district files.
- Sign and submit the AGREEMENT to SAI. We will sign and return a copy for your district files.
- As soon as you hire a beginning administrator, complete the PARTICIPANT ENROLLMENT form and send to SAI.
- Review the PARTICIPANT EXPECTATIONS with your district's administrative mentee. Please stress the importance of complying with these expectations.
- Inform the beginning principal or superintendent, prior to his/her participation in the Mentoring and Induction Program, of your district’s evaluation procedures for administrators. Specifically, the beginning principal or superintendent must be informed of the criteria upon which s/he will be evaluated and of the evaluation process utilized by the district/AEA (per Iowa Code section 284A.5).
- Provide a copy of the AGREEMENT to your business manager to inform him/her of the financial arrangements.
Note: You do not need to secure a mentor for your beginning principal or superintendent; this is part of the service provided by SAI.
Q: Our district wants to use the SAI program to meet the requirements of Chapter 284A, but we do not currently have a beginning administrator. What should we do?
Follow steps 1 & 2 above.
Q: I am a new superintendent and wish to register myself for the SAI program. What should I do?
New superintendents (in their first superintendent position) can enroll themselves for the SAI program by following the steps above.
Q: Who is responsible for finding a mentor for the beginning administrator?
SAI will obtain the mentor for the beginning administrator.
Q: Can my district or the mentee request someone specific to be assigned as a mentor?
SAI will assign mentors based on several factors. We will make every effort to match individuals from similar size schools/districts in geographic proximity and in similar positions. Generally, mentors will be practicing administrators from outside the district. We make it a practice to avoid assigning a mentor who is the formal supervisor of the mentee. Although specific requests are considered, there is no assurance they will be honored.
Q: How will mentees be notified of their mentors?
SAI will send an email message to mentees informing them of their assigned mentor. In addition, mentors will be encouraged to get in touch with the new administrator as soon as possible.