Superintendent of the Year Award
1. The individual should have been a practicing superintendent or AEA chief administrator for at least five years (includes experience as an associate/assistant superintendent).
2. The individual should be currently serving as a superintendent or AEA chief administrator in a school district or AEA where a commitment to excellence is clearly evident; i.e., to be nominated for 2020 Superintendent of the Year, the individual must be a superintendent or AEA chief administrator for the 2019-20 school year.
3. There should be evidence of outstanding contributions to the well-being of the educational community including:
4. The individual should show a strong commitment to the profession by active participation in professional activities. (Membership in SAI and AASA is a prerequisite for this award.)
5. There should be evidence that the individual is respected by his/her colleagues and the community at large.
NOTE: No current SAI Executive Committee member (president, president-elect, vice president or past president) or AASA board member is eligible for this award.
1. Press releases are sent by SAI to select media at the conclusion of the selection process. An article will also appear in the SAI Report.
2. The nominees will be recognized at the SAI Annual Conference in August.
3. The Administrator of the Year will be honored at a Governor’s Reception.
4. The Administrator of the Year will be recognized by the national association and become eligible for a national award if s/he fulfills the criteria. AASA requires the state recipient to continue in the profession during the year of the national award, e.g. a 2020 winner must be an active administrator for the 2019-20 school year. Events are subject to change; please see the awards section of the AASA website for current information.